Sunday, February 7, 2010

BANISHED!!!

Are you ready for this adventure? I don't think you are! Strap yourselves in and prepare yourself for a tale of danger, treachery, and solid friendships.

It all began as a normal day. Well, normal for me. Get up at 7/7:30 ish, get ready for day. Go to play practice, dance and sing. Return home to do homework/take a nap. Go to work. Not that bad a day, right? To answer my own question, yes.

I guess it really all began at work. I get there and see who else I get to work with, and I'm kind of excited! It looks like it's going to be a good day. Lots of fun people to work with. And then...THEY came. That's right. We actually had costomers today! Ok, not just a few here and there like it has been of late. I mean they CAME!.

Let me 'esplain.

the dining room was entirely full and people kept coming for a good solid 3 hours... There were at best two people on tills. At best, there were two people putting orders together. At best, there were 3 people in shakes. There was not a moment to rest! The people just kept coming! As soon as we'd somewhat recover from the previous group, another 10 would walk in! Then another 8, and 6, and 2, and 4, and another 8.

I was one of the fortunate ones on orders. My companion in arms was Ian. I love working with that kid! He gets a bad rep only because his mind is moving too fast to pay attention to what he is doing sometimes. Not today. Today, he was my trusty sidekick and managed to stay on top of the orders. We were like a perfect precision machine. I would ask him to make kidsmeals and he would do them. He would ask for a bag/sauce and I'd hand it to him. We both knew the status of all our orders. Which ones needed cheesburgers and which ones were waiting on fries. It was pretty great! It was still increadibly stressfull as well. I was quite literally running everywhere.

It was going really well, but I was still getting really stressed out. And then, came Marci...Do I really need to finish that idea? I feel that I am safe in saying this here, because you are all people I trust. Marci is a Diva. The world revolves around her. At this point Ian has left to do garbages (which only men can do?) and I find myself alone on orders. My stress level was getting pretty high. At any given time I had about 8 orders to deal with. I was running again. The shake tickets are piling up and I'm struggling to get the orders out in a timely manner.

We keep calling to the back for help, but no one responds. When they do it is only to yell at us that there is no one back there...wait, what? Then who was that yelling? Anyway, we are all going full force and Marci finally comes out to help. She comes over to orders. I have orders under control. I mean, sure it probably looks bad having only me there with 8 orders, but I can manage it. See, I only mention this because I could see that shakes were struggling something fierce.

Marci starts going into some life story where some guy was treating her wrong, or was stalking her or something. I don't really care. I don't say that, but I am ignoring her. I'm a little short in my answers to her because I am focused and busy and don't care. She senses this just like a shark senses blood in the water. Instead of understanding that I was stressed because of work and school, she asks me why I'm mad at HER... I wasn't mad at her! I also didn't feel like expounding my life story to her and giving her the real reasons I'm stressed. So I tell her that I am tired. Good enough right?

Nope, she has to top it off by telling me she took the ACT this morning. I'd just like to know, what the heck did that have to do with anything?! I think she was making the hint that she was tired too because she had to get up early for a test. I didn't feel like informing her that I'd been up since 7:30 and had been dancing/singing for 4 hours. "Whoopdidoo, you took the ACT! Congratulations." I tell her in a slightly sarcastic way... Ok, it was increadibly sarcastic. Now it's true, I should have treated her with a little more respect, but I really didn't care that she took a long test. She's been in the back goofing around while I've been working my butt off. I know this because I have had to get things from the back because we ran out in front.

She gets very upset and refuses to talk to me after that. I am totally cool with that. Ian comes back to help and Marci ditches and speedily goes to her mother. Did I forget to mention this? Marci is the daughter of one of the managers and the grandaughter of the original owners. That's right, she has special privaleges because of this. I happen to glance over and see Marci yelling and pointing in a very angry manner in my general direction. She's not very happy, too bad. For a moment, I am worried that I might possibly lose my job in that very moment. Then I see her mom's reaction. It looked something like...

Settle down Marci, go away and stop bothering me. I don't care what you think Lauren is saying she's working hard.

Ok, so I don't really know what was being said, so I am still a little fearful for my job. I decide that the best way to retaliate and keep my job is to put on the cheesiest and happiest face/attitude you could imagine. And they buy it! Honestly, I felt like I was seriously going to break down. I am BUKKO stressed. Before I hit the breaking point I get increadibly polite. So, I am being really nice to her even though I know full well she is stabbing me in the back as we speak. Of course she complains to every one. People (and by people I mean Trevor, another worker there who I have stories with) starts talking all about how people out front need to all take a chill pill...we make eye contact. I smile at him and he looks away.

People start mentioning how happy and bouncy I am. I'll admit, I was a little confused. Inside, my stomach has churned and harddned into a solid knot because I am so angry. Marci is trying her best to get me fired.

This did not make me happy.

She throws away my shake knowing full well that it was mine. When I return for it and ask people if they knew what happened, she yells from across the room that she doesn't know what happened...right...Oh! and she asks me why I didn't finish it while I was eating. Since when was that a rule?! I didn't believe it for a second! I had paid for that with my own money and she had the gull to throw that away! I made myself a new one and made sure to enjoy every moment of it, in case she decided to try that trick again.

This did not make me happy.

I continue grinning and joking with everyone though. I had a few people come up and warn me that Marci has a "beef" against me. By this point I don't care. Her mom and I had a moment and between she and I things were resolved. In fact, her mom seems to pity me and has totally taken my side. In fact, she keeps trying to send Marci home! Marci refuses to go. Absolutely point blank refuses. So, she continues to stir up misery and strife where there really isn't any.

Marci becomes the "List Nazi" and is telling everyone what to do. She takes on this title herself and is increadibly rude! She never says please and she doesn't use names unless she really wants them to do something. So we have been reduced to "hey you, girl, and boy" depending on the situation. That's right friends! I no longer have a name! Then she banishes me to dining room.

In this, I was well pleased.

I work my tail off in dining room wiping tables down, filling napkins, filling lids, filling straws, and sweeping. I do my job well and efficiently. This older couple has been watching me this entire time. I can feel their eyes on me, but I don't let it affect my work. As they are leaving, our paths cross and the woman stops me and tells me what a hard worker I am and that I was doing a marvelous job. I wasn't expecting this at all, so I start grinning even bigger. It's nice to be complimented for the work that you are doing. Then she asks me if I am a member of the family, if I'm a grandaughter. :D When I tell her that I'm not and that I'm just a regular employee she gets this really suprised look on her face and congratulates me again on a job well done.

I'd say that's a pretty good end to the night. Later I find out how hard Marci was trying to get me fired. She openly states it to her mother that I should be fired because "Nobody likes her anyway" I have it from a few first hand accounts that people stood up and said that they liked me. In this I am well pleased. Then as she was telling her mother of our little, and I use that in the smallest way possible, disagreement, she is of course blowing things way out of preportion. Again, I am saved from certain firing by a friend. Thank you dear Heather for saving me. Heather speaks up because she witnessed the entire exchange and lays out the facts as they happened. Hooray for friends!

And yeah, that was my night at work. Can I just say...I really REALLY REALLY need to get another job. I have a feeling that I might commit manslaughter otherwise, and in that I would be unhappy.

Hopefully tomorrow wont be so adventurous. *fingers crossed*

No comments:

Post a Comment